eBay is looking for network heavies...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jun 9 01:22:13 UTC 2015

--- Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 17:10:25 -0700, Jeroen van Aart said:

> You sort of nailed it though. I think ready knowledge
> about the internals of utilities such as traceroute
> or ping is nice to have, however if you don't know

Describe the top 3 gotchas of using traceroute to
diagnose network problems. :)

That's something you're not likely to look up if you're
in the middle of a connectivity event....

It's these types of questions that're hard for some in
an interview even though they know their stuff.  One
might get nervous wondering if (s)he gave the interviewer
the three that they're looking for and stumble on the
next question even though the next question seems easy to
the interviewer. I'd ask the question a little
differently:  I have a network problem between 2 sites
and there is a firewall between them that is blocking
ICMP and nothing else.  How would you complete a
traceroute to troubleshoot?  (Use BSD or tcptraceroute,
for example)  Then, it turns the questioning into
operational.

scott