Tunable SFP

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Sun Jun 7 21:15:23 UTC 2015

I don't quite see why you would want to use a tuneable 1G optic now days. Generally people use coloured optics to either increase the capacity they can push down a Dark Fibre or to interconnect with a DWDM OTN. In days past using different wavelengths for traffic separation would be not unheard of but in today's world there are many better ways of doing that. The use of tuneable optics reduces sparing and complexity but it is a very difficult and expensive manufacturing task and I can understand why no manufacturer would bother with 1G as that seems like a very small market. If you really want 1G there are plenty of CWDM fixed optics available. If you need more capacity, well really 10G is not at all expensive now days. If you want traffic separation then use MPLS. If you have old 1G only switches, well, you know the answer to that.

My 2c