PPPoE/IPoE, any recommendations for upgrade?

Nasser Heidari nasser at rasana.net
Sun Jun 7 06:19:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are currently using PPPoE in our network. I have seen some articles
regarding migration of so-called legacy PPPoE to IPoE. After reviewing some
of them and implementing IPoE in lab environment using Cisco ASR I didn't
fine it that much beneficial to migrate whole system as I need to change a
lot of things. For example:
 - I need to add it's support to our radius and obviously BSS system (E.g.
using NAS-PORT-ID instead of username).
 - For the addressing part, as I have already using distributed BNG's, I
need to change some of our policies. (For example assigning address blocks
is much easier in PPPoE using framed-route)
 - I need to change our customers CPE configuration to use Ethernet
encapsulation.
 - I haven't used DHCP in large scale environment.
 - I don't have any clear Idea/understanding regarding its
maintainability/troubleshooting and also security.
 (Please add if I'm missing any other issue which may run into if I migrate
to IPoE)

Although it has some benefits, I'm not sure if it's that essential to
migrate.
Would you please kindly?
 - Share your Ideas/experiences/best practices in this regard?
 - If you are already using IPoE, tell more why should I upgrade?
 - Considering a DSL network with more than 800K customers using PPPoE, do
you recommend this migration?

Kind Regards,
Nasser