Verizon FiOS outbound mail TLS problem - Superpages people here?

Ray sixsigma44 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 6 23:13:38 UTC 2015

We had a similar issue around November last year where an upgrade on our
 PostFix MTA to a current version of OpenSSL, which has Mandatory TLS
enabled for certain recipient domains, suddenly started generating the
same errors with just one recipient domain.

We eventually figured
 out that the problem was they were running an outdated version of the
AsyncOS on their Cisco IronPorts. Firmware versions prior to 8.02 had
several problems with TLS and one of them was an inability to
interoperate with senders who used a newer version of OpenSSL. Their
IronPort logs in fact showed a TLS connection was established when it
wasn't. (We had switched them to Opportunistic TLS to be able to send
emails but their logs still showed TLS while a PCAP showed clear text
SMTP.)

As soon as that company updated their IronPorts to a v8.5
variant the problem went away. They would not tell us what version they
used to run but did confirm it was prior to v8.02.

Interestingly, www.checktls.com
 said they were OK. The admins at Check TLS confirmed that, at that time
 (the end of 2014), they were running a version of OpenSSL on their
website that was still compatible with the older AsyncOS version.

FWIW,

Ray