eBay is looking for network heavies...

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 16:44:49 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com> wrote:
>> I also concur.  There is most certainly a negative correlation between certs
>> and clue in my experience, having met 10s of certificate holders.
>
> Oh good. Maybe my total lack of ever pursuing one of these things is actually
> a qualification of sorts?

Meh, certs can be fun. I've never taken one and not learned something.
I don't think someone should put me in charge of designing a SOC
because I have a Security+ or that BestBuy should trust people with
(or w/o) and A+ to fix computers. But I'll bet the journey people took
to get that cert taught them something. Having gained the cert, does
that mean it doesn't belong on a resume? No. If you hire someone with
just a cert to manage your network, does that put you among the
biggest dumbasses to ever hire someone? Absolutely. Further, HR who
look for certs are probably doing themselves a disservice but if it
works for them, who am I to tell them otherwise. If you want to work
for the company, get the cert or don't.