interviewing [was] Re: eBay is looking for network heavies...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Jun 6 02:50:46 UTC 2015

-------------------------------------
It became a tongue-in-cheek interview question.  What
was boggling was the number of *IE's that failed trying
to explain traceroute's mechanics.
------------------------------------

One thing I have done in the past is encourage the person
to succeed at the interview, rather than see how they fail.
I do this because some folks don't interview well, but they
really know their stuff or have other attributes that make
them desirable, such as a great work ethic and a desire to
learn.  One way to do this is find out how they'd go about
solving a problem, rather than what find out what they've
memorized.

:: We need a pool on what percentage of readers just
:: googled traceroute.

Exactly.  I've read ras' paper several times, but I don't
memorize it.  If I need to look something about it up for
some reason, I know where to go:
https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog47/presentations/Sunday/RAS_Traceroute_N47_Sun.pdf

Ask me in an interview when I'm nervous and I stumble like
a nerd asking a girl out on a date.  Say something a little
silly then try to recover only to say something more dumb
finally trying to recover from both only to say something
stupid and finally throwing up my hands in disgust knowing
I'm not going to get the date/job.  :-) This happened to me
around 6-8 months ago.

scott