eBay is looking for network heavies...

nanog at cdl.asgaard.org nanog at cdl.asgaard.org
Sat Jun 6 01:25:14 UTC 2015

On 5 Jun 2015, at 17:45, Łukasz Bromirski wrote:

>> On 06 Jun 2015, at 02:26, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 5, 2015, at 7:13 PM, John Fraizer <john at op-sec.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Head of line for CCIE / JNCIE but knowledge and experience trumps a
>>> piece
>>> of paper every time!
>>
>> Can you please put these at the back of the line?  My experience is
>> that
>> the cisco certification (at least) is evidence of the absence of
>> actual
>> troubleshooting skills.  (or my standards of what defines
>> “expert” are
>> different than the rest of the world).
>
> Jared, don’t generalize.
>
> True - there are people that are ‘paper’ CCIE/JNCIEs - but let’s
> not
> start a rant unless you've met tens of CCIEs/JNCIEs and all of them
> didn’t know a jack. About troubleshooting.

't

We had one CCIE at a previous job who just didn't "click" no matter how
much we tried to train on the architecture.  Eventually in one backbone
event, he kept saying that the problem couldn't be with a given router
because "traceroute worked."  When it was pointed out that the potential
fault wouldn't cause traceroute to fail, we got a very puzzled look.  We
then asked him to explain how traceroute worked.  He spectacularly
failed.

It became a tongue-in-cheek interview question.  What was boggling was
the number of *IE's that failed trying to explain traceroute's
mechanics.

My test, as crass as it is.  If your CV headlines with a JCIE/CCIE, I am
pretty certain that you have very little real-world experience.  If it's
a footnote somewhere, that's ok.

	Christopher

--
李柯睿