AWS Elastic IP architecture

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Jun 4 17:44:29 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture Date: Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 01:16:03PM -0400 Quoting Christopher Morrow (morrowc.lists at gmail.com):
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > I’d argue that SSH is several thousand, not a few hundred. In any case, I suppose you can make the argument that only a few people are trying to access their home network resources remotely other than via some sort of proxy/rendezvous service. However, I would argue that such services exist solely to provide a workaround for the deficiencies in the network introduced by NAT. Get rid of the stupid NAT and you no longer need such services.
>
> This is an interesting argument/point, but if you remove the rendevous
> service then how do you find the thing in your house? now the user has
> to manage DNS, or the service in question has to manage a dns entry
> for the customer, right?

Or something.

> you'll be moving the (some of the) pain from 'nat' to 'dns' (or more
> generally naming and identification). I think though that in a better
> world, a service related to the thing you want to prod from outside
> would manage this stuff for you.

Possibly.

> It's important (I think) to not simplify the discussion as: "Oh, with
> ipv6 magic happens!" because there are still problems and design
> things to overcome even with unhindered end-to-end connectivity.

You have successfully demonstrated that users will need some locating
service. More so with the cure-all IPv6; because remembering hex is hard
for People(tm).

You have, however, not shown that all the possible ways of building a
locating service that become available once the end-points are uniquely
reachable (and thus, as long as we're OK with finding just the right host,
identifyable) present an equal level of suckage.

I believe that while the work indeed can be daunting for a sufficiently
pessimal selection of users, the situation so improves (if we look at
simplicity of protocol design and resulting fragility) when the end-points
can ignore any middleboxes that the net result, measured as inconvenicence
imposed on a standard End User, will improve.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668