Password Decryption Methods?

Michael O Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue Jun 2 16:23:26 UTC 2015

Need to recover the *actual* password because of forensic reasons? .. if it's just for usability then 100% of the units I've encountered have some reset routine that wipes the defaults and resets to admin:admin (or whatever).

If it was forensics it'd probably be faster to just image the flash chip (hopefully leaded and not BGA but rework isn't *that* hard). It's probably salted by the firmware, sometimes the salt is static in the firmware, sometimes it's a derivative of something like the hardware address.

If you can share the other details (make, model, firmware revision, processor type, etc.) .. whatever you know and can share) .. it would be more helpful. Also, how'd you get the hash? .. from a config file backup or from another device that used it to access this one? If so, what software, etc.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University