WiFi courses/vendors recommendation

George Tasioulis george.tasioulis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:18:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:

> Doubt how much PoE you'd use for the MetroWifi stuff, but for the
> "small/medium events Wifi coverage":
>
>  Ubiquiti Networks.
>>>
>>> Its cheap and it works great. Support sucks though.
>>>

> Just watch it here if you're expecting to plug UniFi APs into standard
> 802.3af/at ports and get power.  When I last interacted with them (customer
> equipment; year or two old, I believe) a lot of their WAPs are 24V, not
> 802.3af/at.

Only their UniFi AP & AP-LR are 24V, all the rest of their product line
(AP-PRO, AP-AC as well as the outdoor units) are 802.3af or 802.3at
compliant.
You can easily overcome this limitation by using their 8-port ToughSwitch
were each POE port can be configured to either 24V or 48V.
IMHO Ubiquity's UniFi is a very decent solution when you want to keep
budget low.

- G.