AWS Elastic IP architecture

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 01:41:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <CAL9jLaaQUP1UzoKag3Kuq8a5bMcB2q6Yg=B_=1fFWxRN6K-bNA at mail.gmail.com
>>, Christopher Morrow writes:

>> ok, and for the example of 'put my service in the cloud' ... the
>> service is still accessible over ipv4 right?
>
> It depends on what you are trying to do.  Having something in the
> cloud manage something at home.  You can't reach the home over IPv4
> more and more these days as.  IPv6 is the escape path for that but
> you need both ends to be able to speak IPv6.  This will happen to
> business as well.  The ability to be able to be able to call out
> to everyone is lost if the cloud provider doesn't fully support
> IPv6.

so, I totally agree that long term v6 must also appear in the
cloud-spaces... I was (long back in this thread) asking:
  "sure, v6 is great, what top 1-3 things could a cloud provider
prioritize NOW to get the ball rolling"  (presuming they have some
'real' reason why v6 'just can not be added to interface configs').

> There are a whole segment of applications that don't work, or don't
> work well, or don't work without a whole lot of additional investment
> when one end is behind a CGN (covers all the above as IPv4 is
> supplied over a CGN).

'additional investment' == 'client initiates connection to server'

right? :)

> This attitude of we don't have to invest in IPv6 yet because we
> have lots of public IPv4 addresses stinks to high heaven these day,
> whether you are a ISP, cloud provider or someone else.

yup, agreed. I was (and am still) reacting to the 'everything is
horrible and broken because I can't talk the v6's to all my internal
machines' when ... that seems (to me at least) to be completely
immaterial when 'there is a v6 endpoint for your http/https/xmpp/etc'
available 'now'. (or could be in relatively short order).

-chris