AWS Elastic IP architecture

Luan Nguyen lnguyen at opsource.net
Mon Jun 1 19:11:13 UTC 2015

Original I asked because was in the process of thinking out loud what
options are there for disaster recovery.
I could do anycast BGP, advertise out say a /24 of "elastic IP" and
internally have that block running inside our data center interconnect
dmvpn tunnels. We do have WAN OPT so it probably will be faster running
inside the tunnel - not sure what impact it might have on some applications
though.
so if a vm moves, i need to generate 2 host routes - public and private
ipv4, so those can be the same - some customers have vpn/direct connect so
they also need to get to the private ipv4 as well the public one...it could
get to be a pain to manage.
Dimension Data Cloud does have dual stack for cloud VM. Personally i like
IPv6 since it's so much easier to plan around...Customers can bring their
own ipv4 address to the cloud, the ipv6 is unique - so if you don't want to
nat your private ipv4, you could just use ipv6.
Our orchestration tools are dual stack as well...making a rest api call
with python to ipv6 is as easy as ipv4. IPv6 makes a big different for us
to monitor customer VMs though...since they can bring their own ipv4 and
might overlap.
Honestly, I don't think people care much about ipv6 yet, but hey, we just
dual stack for the future so hey if you want to load balancing ipv6 to
either ipv6 or ipv4 real servers, knock yourself out, and for marketing as
well...AWS doesn't do it, but we do and with the intercloud solution from
cisco - moving from aws to didata would be just a click away :)