UDP clamped on service provider links

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Thu Jul 30 20:45:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 19:42:46 +0530
Glen Kent <glen.kent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it true that UDP is often subjected to stiffer rate limits than
> TCP?

Yes, although I'm not sure how widespread this is in most, if even many
networks. Probably not very widely deployed today, but restrictions and
limitations only seem to expand rather than recede.

I've done this, and not just for UDP, in a university environment.  I
implemented this at time the Slammer worm came out on all the ingress
interfaces of user-facing subnets. This was meant as a more general
solution to "capacity collapse" rather than strictly as security issue,
because we were also struggling with capacity filling apps like Napster
at the time, but Slammer was the tipping point.  To summarize what we
did for aggregate rates from host subnets (these were generally 100 Mb/s
IPv4 /24-/25 LANs):

  ICMP:  2 Mb/s
   UDP: 10 Mb/s
 MCAST: 10 Mb/s (separate UDP group)
  IGMP:  2 Mb/s
 IPSEC: 10 Mb/s (esp - can't ensure flow control of crypto traffic)
   GRE: 10 Mb/s
 Other: 10 Mb/s for everything else except for TCP

If traffic was staying local within the campus network, limits did not
apply.  There were no limits for TCP traffic.  We generally did not
apply limits to well defined and generally well managed server subnets.
We were aware that certain measurement tools might produce misleading
results, a trade-off we were willing to accept.

As far as I could tell, the limits generally worked well and helped
minimize Slammer and more general problems.  If ISPs could implement a
similar mechanism, I think this could be a reasonable approach today
still.  Perhaps more necessary than ever before, but a big part of the
problem is that the networks where you'd really want to see this sort
of thing implemented, won't do it.

> Is there a reason why this is often done so? Is this because UDP
> is stateless and any script kiddie could launch a DOS attack with a
> UDP stream?

State, some form of sender verification and that it and most other
commonly used protocols besides TCP do not generally react to implicit
congestion signals (drops usually).

> Given the state of affairs these days how difficult is it going to be
> for somebody to launch a DOS attack with some other protocol?

There has been ICMP-based attacks and there are, at least in theory if
not common in practice, others such as IGMP-based attacks.  There have
been numerous DoS (single D) attacks with TCP-based services precisely
because of weaknesses or difficulties in managing unexpected TCP
session behavior.  The potential sending capacity of even a small set
of hosts from around the globe, UDP, TCP or other protocol, could
easily overwhelm many points of aggregation.  All it takes is for an
attacker to coerce that a sufficient subset of hosts to send the
packets.

John