Windows 10 Release

Alex Brooks askoorb+nanog at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:08:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Nick Olsen <nick at flhsi.com> wrote:

> Anyone anxious to see what kind of traffic comes from Windows 10 releasing
> tomorrow?
>
>  Being a 3-4GB download. Each device is moving more data than any Apple
> update ever did.
>
>  Wonder if they'll stage the release as apple appeared to have learned
> after IOS7 hammered a bunch of networks.

I don't have the reference to hand (though I have seen it), but yes.
Notifications inviting people to download the upgrade will be rolled
out *starting* 29th July to people who have 'reserved' the upgrade -
the notification will only appear for everyone over a few days.
People who really want to go download the thing manually should be
able to from the launch date of course by going to the website.
Hopefully this means that the network load should not be too great, as
long as they don't 'pick' people to receive the notification by AS
number.

But, the only way to know for sure is to see what happens tomorrow.
Here's hoping it doesn't overload any major links.

Alex