20-30Gbps UDP 1720 traffic appearing to originate from CN in last 24 hours

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jul 23 13:25:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Nicholas Warren wrote:

> How will the customer know the ISP is blocking the traffic? Does the
> FCC make ISPs disclose this information?

If a customer is legitimately trying to reach someone in one of the
affected IP ranges and failing, at some point, they will either a) give up
and try later, or b) contact their provider to try to find out what's
going on.

If it's something widespread enough that the ISP's support line is blowing
up with calls, I'd hope they would either put some sort of announcement on
their website/support site/support line.

As with anything else in the ISP world, it's about striking an appropriate
balance.  If ISP X is getting hit with DDoS traffic hard enough to
severely impact their business, that can warrant an emergency response,
albeit likely a short-term/tactical response.  If not, perhaps a more
limited response is better.  Again, each provider is free to run their
network as they see fit.

The balance point can also change if downstream ISPs are involved, since
ISP X might be making the decision to block or not block traffic for
the downstreams, with or without their consent.

jms