DE-CIX vs Equinix

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Wed Jul 22 14:25:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the main difference between these two peering companies,
> exchanges, and overall operating model? The market in question would be
> Dallas Texas where Equinix already has the only established peering
> exchange with over 100 members, and DE-CIX just announced today that that
> would also be building one in Dallas. It will take time for DE-CIX to
> establish their exchange in Dallas and get members, but they better
> question is why would people switch?

    In short, Equinix is by far and large a data center operator and
the Internet exchange is an add-on service only available within their
data center locations.     DE-CIX is an exchange point operator who
operates in multiple dis-parent data center locations.

> For a 10G port with a cross connect to the exchange included Equinix
> charges $1000 per month. According to DE-CIX it looks like they charge
> $1250 per month for a 10G port in NYC, so I asusme the same would be true
> in Dallas. https://nyc.de-cix.net/products-services/pricing/

    I would not use DE-CIX NYC pricing as a benchmark.    As DE-CIX
learned, NYC is a very difficult market to get connectivity and to
build an exchange in.    As such their operating costs are a lot
higher than in other markets and I don't believe it would be a good
assumption to use NYC based pricing in Dallas.    But keep in mind,
DE-CIX likes to distribute their network access nodes to get a larger
audience than within ones own facility.

    Also, I would suggest looking at the big picture and the cost of
colocation services in a facility other than Equinix to "level the
playing field".

> Looks like DE-CIX will offer a promo to entice new members to join, and
> their exchange will be in the carrier neatural meet me room operated by the
> infomart that will have little to no cross connect fees.
>
> Why would people pay more to connect to an exchange with less members? What
> is the european exchange that is a non-profit and basically only covers the
> cost of operating the exchange?

     As stated above, when looking at the big picture, it may or may
not be more expensive when all of your other services are considered.

    It should be said that I don't have any axe to grind and think
very highly of Equinix.    But with respect to Dallas, I would suggest
looking at bigger picture and see if your assumptions still hold true.

charles