another tilt at the Verizon FIOS IPv6 windmill

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Sat Jul 18 10:45:43 UTC 2015

Ricky Beam schreef op 18-7-2015 om 1:14:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 06:25:26 -0400, Christopher Morrow
> <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> mean that your UBee has to do dhcpv6? (or the downstream thingy from
>> the UBee has to do dhcpv6?)
>
> The Ubee "router" is in bridge mode. Customers have ZERO access to the
> thing, even when it is running in routed mode. So I have no idea what
> it's trying to do.  All I can say is no RAs are coming from it
> (through it/whatever) It *could* be it's blocking it -- it's
> multicast, so who knows what it's doing with it.  Without RAs, nothing
> connected to it will even attempt IPv6 -- the RA being the indicator
> to use DHCP or not, and who's the router.
>
> And further, when I tell my Cisco 1841 to do DHCP anyway, I get no
> answer.
>
> So, the blanket statement that "it's ready" isn't true.
For a point of interest, the Ubee 320 and 321 wireless routers/modems
are in use by Ziggo in the Netherlands.

Although they've rolled back the 320 modems to a older firmware, the 321
is still active on their IPv6 rollout. The problems were not strictly
related to Ipv6 perse, but the newer firmware broken Voice on these
all-the -things-in-one devices.

The 321 appears to be unaffected and is still active, although in just a
few regions at this point of the rollout.

What's very specific about this rollout in relation to the above, is
that Ziggo is currently only supporting IPv6 with the Ubee in router
mode (with the wifi hotspot). The good news is that it also operates a
DHCP-PD server so that you can connect your own router to the Ubee and
still get IPv6 routed to you out of the /56 allocated to the customer.

For now, all the customers with the Ubee in bridge mode are SOL. It's
not clear what the reason is, but Ubee in bridge mode with IPv6 is
listed on the road map. If that's intentional policy or that the
firmware isn't ready yet is not clear at this point.

Regards,
Seth