Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Fri Jul 17 03:50:23 UTC 2015

On 7/16/15, 4:32 PM, "Joe Maimon" <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:

>Lee Howard wrote:
>>
>> So, you would like to update RFC 1112, which defines and reserves Class
>>E?
>> That¹s easy enough. If somebody had a use in mind for the space, anybody
>> can write such a draft assigning space, which is, I believe, how to
>> direct IANA to do something with it.
>>

>nope

“Nope?”
You mean you don’t want to update RFC1112?
Or it’s not possible for somebody to write a draft telling IANA to assign
space
for an experiment? Somebody has to write a draft in order for the IETF to
consider it, and there has to be IETF consensus for it to get published as
an
RFC.

>http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/oct/14/ipv4-exhaustion-what-about-class-e-
>addresses/
>
>All the same rationals, including how it might be bad for ipv6, its too
>late, its too hard, its too little were trotted out then, just as now.

I don’t see the relevance. Nobody there proposed reclassifying the space.
Nobody had a proposal for an experiment. Nobody wanted an assignment from
it.

>The only use I have in mind for the space is for it to cease being
>classified as experimental and therefore treated as invalid.

You want the word “RESERVED” for some entries on this page changed:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml
What do you want it changed to?

>> If you want to direct IANA to distribute Class E space among the RIRs,
>> there¹s more process, because you would also have to develop a global
>> policy (no problem, we get the NRO NC to write it and get consensus at
>> all the RIRs), and then each RIR would need to develop a policy under
>> which to allocate it. I¹d be surprised if all that could happen in
>> less than three years.
>
>I would not care about that, so long as the impediment, the experimental
>status was removed. Let the stakeholders have a real shot.

There’s more to it than that.
How would people who want to use it get assignments?
Right now, there’s no policy for assigning that space.

You’ve told other people that there shouldn’t be a top-down restriction on
this space; but there’s no top: it’s all consensus. The consensus here is
very clear. You are welcome to try to change it, and a couple of us are
trying to should you the processes (IETF, IANA, RIR) to do that.

If all you want to do is vent, we’ll just move on to another thread.

Lee