Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:57:38 UTC 2015

On 17 July 2015 at 00:29, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:

> All I am advocating is that if ever another draft standard comes along to
> enable people to try and make something of it, lead follow or get out of
> the way.

If I understand correctly you want someone (not you) to write a RFC that
changes the word "experimental" to "something else". But you do not want
IANA and the 5 RIRs to implement policies to hand out this space. Nor do
you expect any vendor to change anything?

May i then suggest that "something else" could be "junk" or "useless" ?

Fact is that it is junk. It is probably not even routable in the default
free zone.

Nobody is going to want a class E address. Even if your own equipment was
updated to allow it, you would not be able to communicate with most of the
internet. Tell me, in what timeframe do you expect that would change, if
someone did write that RFC and got it approved?

What everyone here is trying to tell you is that the consensus is that
timeframe would be very long indeed. There are people using routers with
10+ year old firmware and you just wouldn't be able to communicate with
these guys. There would be no transition plan. No NAT64, no dualstack nor
any other mechanism that would save the day. Your customers would be very
unhappy with your service.

If YouTube had their servers on a class E address, my smart TV would stop
being able to play YouTube. Samsung stopped making updates to that TV long
ago. NAT wont do anything to help my TV as NAT only maps my internal
network (192.168.x.y) and not the external IP (the class E address of say
YouTube).

Lets say we declare that 10 years has to pass and then it is my problem if
I am still hanging onto such an old TV. But honestly, in 10 years nobody is
going to care. It is all IPv6 by then. And the few things that are not is
all taken care of by various transition technologies.

You got it all wrong when you believe it is a top down decision. It is the
opposite. You are fighting _consensus_. Nobody wants to change the status
of class E because it would not work and would only confuse.

Regards,

Baldur