Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Jul 16 20:32:47 UTC 2015

Lee Howard wrote:

> I don¹t see anybody hindering any efforts; I don¹t see any efforts.

There were efforts in the past. I am highlighting our malfeasance as a
community in our past behavior. I have little hope of it changing in the
future, but I can vent about it every couple years or so.

You take the un-initiated and explain to them the actual utilization
percentage of the bitspace and then you explain why they should trust us
with bitspace management the second time around.

> So, you would like to update RFC 1112, which defines and reserves Class E?
> That¹s easy enough. If somebody had a use in mind for the space, anybody
> can write such a draft assigning space, which is, I believe, how to
> direct IANA to do something with it.

nope

http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/oct/14/ipv4-exhaustion-what-about-class-e-addresses/

All the same rationals, including how it might be bad for ipv6, its too
late, its too hard, its too little were trotted out then, just as now.

The only use I have in mind for the space is for it to cease being
classified as experimental and therefore treated as invalid.

> If you want to direct IANA to distribute Class E space among the RIRs,
> there¹s more process, because you would also have to develop a global
> policy (no problem, we get the NRO NC to write it and get consensus at
> all the RIRs), and then each RIR would need to develop a policy under
> which to allocate it. I¹d be surprised if all that could happen in
> less than three years.

I would not care about that, so long as the impediment, the experimental
status was removed. Let the stakeholders have a real shot.