Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Thu Jul 16 15:03:43 UTC 2015

On Thu 2015-Jul-16 21:19:54 +1000, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

>In message <20150716060336.GA4261 at bamboo.slabnet.com>, Hugo Slabbert writes:
>> --snip--
>>
>> >You can blame the religious zealots that insisted that everything
>> >DHCP does has to also be done via RA's.  This means that everyone
>> >has to implement everything twice.  Something Google should have
>> >realised when they releases Android.
>>
>> oi...do we want to go down that road[1][2] again?
>
>Once you have two methods of doing things, neither of which is
>manditory to implement, you can only get interoperate with everything
>if you implement both.  The whole "we can't open a second socket"
>to do DHCP + SLACC because it is "too complicated" or "we don't
>want to run a second server" was nonsense.  The direct consequence
>of doing that was Android not working on networks that supply other
>config over DHCP.
>
>We ship servers that speak multiple protocols on one multiple ports
>in the one binary.  It isn't and never has been hard to do that.

Not disagreeing with you.  The discussion was just exhaustively expounded
in that thread over (by my count) 182 messages, with very little to show
for it.  We can take another run at flinging words on the topic and trying
to get Google to implement a DHCPv6 client in Android, but I have my doubts
about how effective that will be.

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber