Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu Jul 16 07:34:00 UTC 2015

So, if i get this right. The problem is not quite as bad to fix.
It just needs a dnscache/dnsproxy process bound to the ipv4 localhost that uses the ipv6 dns server.
Basically what dnsmasq does. Biggest problem is that it wouldn't follow autoconfigure and thus require manual intervention. That is a no go for dynamic networks of any sort.
Cheers-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------Van: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> Datum: 16-07-2015  08:51  (GMT+01:00) Aan: Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> Cc: nanog at nanog.org Onderwerp: Re: Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?
> On Jul 15, 2015, at 19:32 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>

> In message <55A682E6.1050607 at matthew.at>, Matthew Kaufman writes:
>> On 7/14/2015 11:22 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>>
>>> Yet I can take a Windows XP box.  Tell it to enable IPv6 and it
>>> just works.  Everything that a node needed existed when Windows XP
>>> was released.  The last 15 years has been waiting for ISP's and CPE
>>> vendors to deliver IPv6 as a product.  This is not to say that every
>>> vendor deployed all the parts of the protocol properly but they
>>> existed.
>>
>> This is only true for dual-stacked networks. I just tried to set up an
>> IPv6-only WiFi network at my house recently, and it was a total fail due
>> to non-implementation of relatively new standards... starting with the
>> fact that my Juniper SRX doesn't run a load new enough to include RDNSS
>> information in RAs, and some of the devices I wanted to test with
>> (Android tablets) won't do DHCPv6.
>
> You can blame the religious zealots that insisted that everything
> DHCP does has to also be done via RA's.  This means that everyone
> has to implement everything twice.  Something Google should have
> realised when they releases Android.

Actually, no.

In this case, the problem isn’t the things RA does, but the things his
implementation of RA doesn’t do (RDNSS).

Without RDNSS, android would still be brain-damaged and unable
to figure out what an IPv6 nameserver is. The only way it would be
able to talk to the IPv6 internet was if it got nameservers from DHCP4.

At least with RDNSS, a thin lightweight client can get nameservers on IPv6.
At least with RDNSS, a network administrator that doesn’t want to have
to do DHCPv6 doesn’t have to in most cases.

>> The XP box is in an even worse situation if you try to run it on a
>> v6-only network.
>
> Which is fixable with a third party DHCPv6 client / manual configuration
> of the nameservers.

Nope… XP’s resolver is utterly and completely incapable of transmitting
an IPv6 DNS request.

You _HAVE_ to have an IPv4 resolver reachable to the box or forego any
idea of using DNS.

Owen