Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Jul 15 20:55:31 UTC 2015

On July 15, 2015 at 09:20 owen at delong.com (Owen DeLong) wrote:

 > There are two ways to waste addresses. One is to allocate them to users who
 > don,Ab€™(Bt actually use all of them.
 >
 > The other is to keep them on the shelf in the free pool until well past the useful
 > life of the protocol.

I'd add a third which is segmentation and I think that's a real
threat. That is, assigning large chunks to specific functions by
policy usually in support of technical needs. For example IPv4's
multicast block. Poof, 224/4 gone. Or similar.

Suddenly it's not 2^N bits it's just N bits.

My claim is that such segmentation tends to grow over time as people
find good arguments to segment.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada