Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Jul 15 18:32:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Jul 14, 2015, at 8:53 PM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> Space was handed out more or less willy-nilly - so some US
> organisations ended up with multiple A-classes each, while later on all
> of Vietnam got one /26.

IIRC (I was running APNIC at the time), when the first organization from Vietnam approached APNIC for address space, we allocated a /22 to them and reserved the /16 from which that  allocation was made for other ISPs in Vietnam (as was the policy back then).

> That's the big difference - IPv6 has been designed to provide abundant
> address space.

There is no amount of fixed address space that can't be consumed with stupid allocation policies.

Regards,
-drc