Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Jul 15 18:31:48 UTC 2015

On 7/15/15 10:24 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:
> I suspect a 16 /8 right about now would be very welcome for everybody
> other then the ipv6 adherents.

Globally we were burning through about a /8 every month or two in "the
good old days." So in the best case scenario we'd get 32 more months of
easy to get IPv4, but at an overwhelming cost to re-implement every
network stack.

This option was considered back in the early 2000's when I was still
involved in the discussion, and rejected as impractical.

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not