Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Jul 15 18:30:49 UTC 2015

On 7/15/15 10:24 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Mark Andrews wrote:
>> In message
>> <CANjVB-jbtc4V5yba0xtGA7N5geQcz86hvydj4J9J8UxhzMMEZw at mail.gmail.com>
>
>> We don't use Class E because were using up IPv4 space too quickly
>> to make it worthwhile to make it work cleanly for everyone.
>
> That is a self fulfilling prophecy.
>
> I suspect a 16 /8 right about now would be very welcome for everybody
> other then the ipv6 adherents.
>
> Seems like procrastination is only bad when its your baby.
>
> The jury is still out on class E, but the verdict is in for the
> community who created it.

joel at ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.8.0-44-generic #66~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15
04:01:04 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

joel at ubuntu:~$  sudo ifconfig eth0:0 240.0.0.1/24
SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address

now go test that on every exisitng ipv4 device on the planet that's not
getting an upgrade.

it doesn't extend the life of ipv4 usefully and it wouldn't have if we
started 10 years ago either.

the goal in stringing along ipv4 is to not hose your current or
potential customers rather than prevent still more obstacles to their
success.

joel