Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Jul 15 15:57:26 UTC 2015

On 7/14/2015 11:22 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> Yet I can take a Windows XP box.  Tell it to enable IPv6 and it
> just works.  Everything that a node needed existed when Windows XP
> was released.  The last 15 years has been waiting for ISP's and CPE
> vendors to deliver IPv6 as a product.  This is not to say that every
> vendor deployed all the parts of the protocol properly but they
> existed.

This is only true for dual-stacked networks. I just tried to set up an
IPv6-only WiFi network at my house recently, and it was a total fail due
to non-implementation of relatively new standards... starting with the
fact that my Juniper SRX doesn't run a load new enough to include RDNSS
information in RAs, and some of the devices I wanted to test with
(Android tablets) won't do DHCPv6.

The XP box is in an even worse situation if you try to run it on a
v6-only network.

And yet we've known for years now that dual-stack wasn't going to be an
acceptable solution, because nobody was on track to get to 100% IPv6
before IPv4 runout happened.

Go to any business with hardware that is 3-5 years old in its IT
infrastructure and devices ranging from PCs running XP to the random
consumer gear people bring in (cameras, printers, tablets, etc.) and see
how easy it is to get everything talking on an IPv6-only (no IPv4 at
all) network... including using IPv6 to do automatic updates and all the
other pieces that need to work. We're nowhere near ready for that.

Matthew Kaufman