Remember "Internet-In-A-Box"?

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Wed Jul 15 15:24:35 UTC 2015

I google¹d ³IPv6 for Dummies² and found this:
https://www.wesecure.nl/upload/documents/tinymce/IPv6.pdf
It¹s licensed from the For Dummies series, written and published by
Infoblox.

more below. . .

On 7/14/15, 8:02 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Mike" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on
behalf of mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:

>On 07/14/2015 04:46 PM, Stephen Satchell wrote:
>> This goes back a number of years.  There was a product that literally
>> was a cardboard box that contained everything one needed to get
>> started on the Internet.  Just add a modem and a computer, and you
>> were on your way.  No fuss, no "learning curve".
>>
>> I'm beginning to think that someone needs to create a similar product,
>> but for IPv6 internet.  The Internet service providers would provide
>> the same sort of kit to get people started.  Just add a CSU/DSU (like
>> a cable modem) and a computer, and you are on your way.
>>
>> Also, I think we need a *real* book called "IPv6 for Dummies" (maybe
>> even published by IDG Books) that walks through all the beginner
>> stuff.  There's beginner stuff that I've seen by using a search
>> engine; a dead-tree book, though, may well be better for Joe Average.
>>
>> Just my pair-o-pennies(tm)
>>

>I am a small provider with a 16 bit asn, a /20 and a /22 of ipv4 and a
>/32 of v6, but no clue yet how to get from where I am today to where we
>all should be. The flame wars and vitrol and rhetoric is too much noise
>for me to derive anything useful from. Someone needs to stand up and
>lead. I will happily follow.

I also co-authored RFC6782, intended to be guidance for landline ISPs
deploying IPv6:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6782
We really tried to make it step-by-step, and you don¹t necessarily need
to hit each step (as we explain in the document).

>Whats really needed, is for you gods of ipv6, to write that 'ipv6 for
>ipv4 dummies', targeting service providers and telling us exactly what
>we need to do. No religious wars about subnet allocation sizes or dhcpv6
>vs slaac or anything. Tell us how to get it onto our network, give us
>reasonable deployment scenarios that leverage our experience with IPv4
>and tell us what we are going to tell our customers. Help us understand
>WHY nat is not a security model, and how to achieve the same benefits we
>have with nat now, in an ipv6 enabled world.

Send me private email and we can set up time to talk. I won¹t know the
IPv6 capabilities of every piece of equipment you have, but I might be
able to help you plan.

Lee