Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue Jul 14 18:56:34 UTC 2015

Mel Beckman wrote:
> Owen,
>
> By the same token, who 30 years ago would have said there was anything
> wrong with giving single companies very liberal /8 allocations?

Actually 30 years ago it was very difficult to get a /8 even for a US Gov
organization. I have firsthand experience with being refused. As much as
people on this list like to paint a fantasy about 'the liberal policies of
the good-old- days' it was not as wild and loose as it is often made out to
be. 40 years ago it was easier to get a /8 than it was 30 year ago, but
there were still restrictions. At the end of the day, your impact on the
routing system determined which bucket you were put in, because the global
routing table was the scarce resource that needed management.

> Companies
> that for the most part wasted that space, leading to a faster exhaustion
of
> IPv4 addresses. History cuts both ways.

Call it waste if you want, but it is more likely that it was just allocation
a decade ahead of need, and that need would likely not have developed if the
global routing system collapsed due to too many /16's being allocated before
routers could handle that.

> I think it's reasonable to be at least somewhat judicious with our
spanking
> new IPv6 pool. That's not IPv4-think. That's just reasonable caution.

"Reasonable caution" was only allocating 1/8th of the space up front, and
recommending that end sites be limited to a /48 without justifying more (rfc
3177). "IPv4-think" is refusing to acknowledge the math, and insisting that
just because the average consumer has been limited to a single subnet for
the last 15 years, that it was all they will ever need. Rewind the clock 16
years and you found that the restriction was a single mac-address, because
'nobody needs anything more than a single computer'.

CPE developers have to manage their costs, and they will build to the limits
of what is available across the majority of providers. When that is
artificially restricted by unnecessary  "IPv4-think" conservation, you will
build a deployed base that has limited capability. Just as it is still
taking time to remove the deployed base of IPv4-only cpe, getting rid of
limitations will be slow, difficult, and costly. Fast forward 30 years, and
the network managers of the day will be asking why the clowns who insisted
on such an artificially restricted allocation model could be so short
sighted because they will not have been tainted by or understand
"IPv4-think".

IPv6 is not the last protocol known to mankind. IF it burns out in 400-500
years, something will have gone terribly wrong, because newer ideas about
networking will have been squashed along the way. 64 bits for both hosts and
routing was over 3 orders of magnitude more than sufficient to meet the
design goals for the IPv4 replacement, but in the context of the dot-com
bubble there was a vast outcry from the ops community that it would be
insufficient for the needs of routing. So the entire 64 bits of the original
proposal was given to routing, and the IETF spent another year arguing about
how many bits more to add for hosts. Now, post bubble burst, we are left
with 32,768x the already more than sufficient number of routing prefixes,
but "IPv4-think" conservation believes we still need to be extremely
conservative about allocations.

Tony