Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jul 14 18:44:25 UTC 2015

>I think it's reasonable to be at least somewhat judicious with our
>spanking new IPv6 pool. That's not IPv4-think. That's just reasonable
>caution.

It's optimizing for the wrong thing.  While the supply of IPv6
addresses exceeds any plausible demand, the supply of route slots in
routers does not.  The right way to allocate v6 space is the first
time someone asks for some, give them as much as they'll ever need.
If you give them less and they have to come back for more later,
you've wasted a router slot.

In theory one can renumber into a larger block and abandon or return
the old block, but in a world where the value of used IPv6 space is
$0, how likely is that?

>We can always be more generous later.

Too late.

R's,