'gray' market IPv4

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:31:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Matt Kelly <mjkelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> This list is actual sale prices,
> http://www.ipv4auctions.com/previous_auctions/
>

> --
> Matt
>

> On July 14, 2015 at 10:14:05 AM, Justin Wilson - MTIN (lists at mtin.net)
> wrote:
>
> Thes folks (and I am not advertising or affiliated with them) publish a
> list of most recent transfer completed:
>
> http://ipv4marketgroup.com/broker-services/buy/

http://ipv4marketgroup.com/broker-services/buy/  vs.
http://www.ipv4auctions.com/previous_auctions/

If you compare the pricing that both have made available you will find one
is posting average prices exponentially higher than the other. When you
trend the granular auction site data the auction numbers demonstrate a
trend  would expect, that smaller prefixes are more expensive since it
takes a similar amount of effort to process a /24 as it does a /20. Dollar
differences between a  /24 unit and a /17 unit move the needle
significantly.

Based on both of both sets of public data its easy to conclude that
auctions will work for at least small buyers of space if they're
sophisticated enough to address the RIR issues. If you do decide to take
the simple broker approach (not all are simple and not all approaches are
suitable to simple brokers), use an RFP.  And Yelp. :-)

Best,

-M<