another tilt at the Verizon FIOS IPv6 windmill

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Tue Jul 14 03:02:17 UTC 2015

On Jul 13, 2015, at 1:57 PM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:

> David,
> Did you consider running an IPv6 tunnel through HE.net?

Tunnels work, but they really are getting old.  I have run 3ffe:: 6bone, HE tunnels, and (currently) aiccu.  They all work very reliably, and I have immense gratitude towards the people who commit the time, the hardware, and the software, to making that go.  But the bottom line is that 200+ms RTTs to my servers over v6 tunnels simply can't compete with 20ms RTTs on native v4.  I know my code works over v6, but how can I ever know it works well when I'm behind a v6 dialup link?

This past weekend I bit the projectile and decided to flip my service over to Teksavvy.  The latter have native v6, claim to offer /48s, and have the audacity to charge me $10/month less than Telus.  I'm game.  More importantly, after eight years of Telus promising an IPv6 beta, I can tell them to
see https://orthanc.ca/figure-1 :-P

--lyndon