Hotels/Airports with IPv6

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Jul 11 00:15:49 UTC 2015

Jared,

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/525db76369bedd1029d61f47-1200/august-2009.jpg

Perfect!

-mel via cell

On Jul 10, 2015, at 5:02 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.Nether.net<mailto:jared at puck.Nether.net>> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:48:46PM +0000, Mel Beckman wrote:
You perhaps haven't worked a large government network deployment before. One doesn't activate features not enumerated in the design. Ever. Because they won't get and can thus introduce security or reliability covered in acceptance testing and could introduce security or reliability problems. These networks have many engineers, months of meetings, and rigorous change control. Turning on IPv6 without authorization would result in termination.

   I did not suggest turning it on without authorization, I discussed
the steps I would take to deploy it as devices are touched.

   I will say that some organizations have draconian ideas of what
change management looks like.  I would also suggest that a
state or federal government (such as the US technically mandates IPv6
already, but as with all things people waiver them) is not what may be
in the subject line, with the exception of an airport authority that
may perform this.

   Personally I consider it a bit of technical malpractice to arrive
a decade late to the IPv6 game but am sympathetic to those that
have been trying hard to do the righ thing despite the environment
they are in.

   Either way, you're also correct that I'm not dealing with a
government agency in $dayjob.  I also plan to keep it that way, except
in the extreme case where I'm given authority to fix said oversights.
I've seen parades of people jump from organizations they were prepared
to clean up because of oppressive change management processes or work
conditions.

   I'm sure there is a series of dilbert or similar cartoons on
this.  Then again, I'm pretty sure IPv6 won't cause this to happen:

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/525db76369bedd1029d61f47-1200/august-2009.jpg

   - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net<mailto:jared at puck.nether.net>