Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jul 10 17:01:11 UTC 2015

> On Jul 10, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>>> On Jul 10, 2015, at 03:57 , Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

>>> How long does it take to blow through a /20 at /48 a customer?
>>
>> A while. But the more likely case is that the guy before you asked for and got a /32, because that's the minimum (and already two steps up the fee scale, I might add)
>>
>> You want ISPs to start with /20s? I'll support that over on PPML if you propose it. But I'll also ask for /20 to have a fee category of "small".
>>
>> Matthew Kaufman
>>
>> (Sent from my iPhone)
>
> According to https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html
>
> ISP / ALLOCATIONS INITIAL REGISTRATION OR ANNUAL FEES
> Service Category	Initial Registration or Annual Fee
> (US Dollars)	IPv4 Block Size	IPv6 Block Size
> XX-Small	$500	/22 or smaller	/40 or smaller
> X-Small	$1,000	Larger than /22, up to and including /20	Larger than /40, up to and including /36
> Small	$2,000	Larger than /20, up to and including /18	Larger than /36, up to and including /32
> Medium	$4,000	Larger than /18, up to and including /16	Larger than /32, up to and including /28
> Large	$8,000	Larger than /16, up to and including /14	Larger than /28, up to and including /24
> X-Large	$16,000	Larger than /14, up to and including /12	Larger than /24, up to and including /20
> XX-Large	$32,000	Larger than /12	Larger than /20
>

> If your IPv4 ISP fits in a /22 or smaller, you can hand out /48s from a /32 for a very long time.
> 	(maximum 1024 customer end-sites with no addresses reserved for your own infrastructure, /32 = 65535 customer
> 		end sites after reserving a /48 for your infrastructure)
> If your IPv4 ISP fits in a /20 or smaller, you can hand out /48s from a /32 for a pretty long time.
> 	(maximum 4096 customer end-sites with no addresses reserved for your own infrastructure, /32 = 65535 customer
> 		end sites after reserving a /48 for your infrastructure)
> If your IPv4 ISP fits in a /18 or smaller, you can hand out /48s from a /32 for quite a while.
> 	(maximum 16,384 customer end-sites with no addresses reserved for your own infrastructure, /32 = 65535 customer
> 		end sites after reserving a /48 for your infrastructure).
>
> At IPv6 /18 or smaller, you’re in the same fee category as an IPv6 /32.
>
> As you go up, the situation only gets better…
>
> If your ISP uses an IPv4 /16, then you have a maximum of 65,536 customers with no allowance for infrastructure.
> For free, you can get an IPv6 /28. This allows you 16,777,215 /48 end sites with a /48 reserved for your infrastructure.
>
> If your ISP uses an IPv4 /14, then you have a maximum of 262,144 customers with no allowance for infrastructure.
> For free, you can get an IPv6 /24 to support up to 268,435,455 /48 end sites after reserving a /48 for infrastructure.
>
> Sure, Matthew is going to point out that my maximum IPv4 customer numbers assume you aren’t doing CGN. That’s true.
> [...]

I use legacy IPv4 space and pay nothing. So IPv6 would be a big jump. Didn't even need to invoke NAT for my argument.

But I'll repeat what I said before - want ISPs handing out lots of space? Make the minimum /20 or /24 instead of /32. I'll support that over on the other list if someone proposes it.

Matthew Kaufman

(Sent from my iPhone)