Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jul 10 10:57:10 UTC 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 11:53 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 23:33:25 -0700, Matthew Kaufman said:
>
>> One of the hopeful outcomes of IPv6 adoption was that an ISP could get
>> enough to last "forever" in a single transaction. But "forever" isn't
>> very long at one /48 (or more) per customer.
>
> How long does it take to blow through a /20 at /48 a customer?

A while. But the more likely case is that the guy before you asked for and got a /32, because that's the minimum (and already two steps up the fee scale, I might add)

You want ISPs to start with /20s? I'll support that over on PPML if you propose it. But I'll also ask for /20 to have a fee category of "small".

Matthew Kaufman

(Sent from my iPhone)