Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Thu Jul 9 22:07:08 UTC 2015

>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Harald Koch <chk at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The "common man" is becoming much more sophisticated in their
>> networking requirements, and they need this stuff to just work.
>> Please don't place artificially small limits just because you can't see a need.
>>
>> Probably because he got good advise from his father :)

Agreed, we need to not add any limits or conventions to the v6 protocol.  Why commit to a /48 or /56 if the protocol offers many more options?  Just write software to deal with all the possibilities.

While the "common man" has become much more sophisticated in network REQUIREMENTS. They have probably become less KNOWLEDGEABLE about what those requirement are because they are getting used to just plugging it in and it works.  Used to be that most Internet users knew if that had public/private or dynamic/static addresses because they had to.  Today the most likely answer would be "who knows, I plugged in my Apple TV and it just worked"

Steven Naslund