Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Jul 9 16:16:32 UTC 2015

When I see a car that needs a /56 subnet then I’ll take your use case seriously. Otherwise, it’s just plain laughable. Yes, I could theorize a use case for this, but then I could theorize that someday everyone will get to work using jetpacks.

We have prefix delegation already via DHCP-PD, but some in the IPv6 world don’t even want to support DHCP, how does SLAAC do prefix delegation, or am I missing something else? I assume each car is going to be running as  RA? Given quality of implementations of IPv6 in embedded devices so far, I found that pretty ludicrous.

Seriously, the IPv6 world needs to get a clue. Creating new protocols and solutions at this point in the game is only making it more difficult for IPv6 deployment, not less. IPv6 needs to stabilize and get going.. instead it seems everyone is musing about theoretical world where users need 64k networks. I understand the idea of not wanting to not think things through, but IPv6 is how many years old, and we are still arguing about these things? Don’t let the prefect be the enemy of the good.

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039