Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 9 16:08:41 UTC 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 05:53 , Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 9 July 2015 at 13:25, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>

>> I suppose the issue will become "more real" when you can't get any IPv4
>> space period.
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> That will never happen. If you offer me $1000 per IPv4, then I will happily
> terminate some user contracts and sell their IP space to you…

Eventually, you run out of user contracts to terminate.

> In fact it will never become even that expensive. With a marked price of
> $10 I am buying IP space for customers as needed and I will include free
> space in the contracts. If the price went to $100 I would tell all users
> that they need to pay monthly rent for their IP or alternative, the user
> would have to accept carrier NAT in some form. And then I would proceed to
> buy a new house for the money I make by selling address space.

Sure, but aren’t your customers going to start demanding IPv6 instead of that at some point?

Aren’t they going to start insisting on a service that doesn’t charge per address?

> There is a ton of address space that is inefficient used. We will be able
> to buy excess from companies that "create" space by optimizing their
> existing space. There is a reason we have not seen any rise in the price
> even after multiple years with depletion in large parts of the world.

Yes… It’s called “soft landing”… ARIN will be the first region to deplete without significant
austerity policies for newcomers to get address space.

Owen