Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Harald Koch chk at pobox.com
Thu Jul 9 14:46:41 UTC 2015

On 9 July 2015 at 09:11, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> I think you're confusing very common for a tech guy and very common for
> the common man. I have a dozen or two v4 subnets in my house. Then again, I
> also run my ISP out of my house, so I have a ton of stuff going on. I can't
> even think of a handful of other people that would have more than one.

My son (who is not a tech guy but is a gamer) has four subnets in his
(rented) house already: private LAN, guest network, home control network,
and a separate LAN for the tenant downstairs who is sharing their broadband
connection. And he's just getting started.

The "common man" is becoming much more sophisticated in their networking
requirements, and they need this stuff to just work. Please don't place
artificially small limits just because you can't see a need.

--
Harald