Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 04:40:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 22:13:24 -0400, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 20:19:52 -0500, Mike Hammett said:
>> /56 even seems a bit excessive for a residential user, but *shrugs*
>
> It goes pretty quick when each WNDR3800 running CeroWRT will chew through
> 4 bits worth of subnets just by powering on, and even more if you start
> doing any VLAN stuff.... and then you put a second one at the far end
> of the house for better coverage and it asks for its own PD space from
> your main one.....

If everyone wants their networks hobbled by shitty software routing,
sure.  There are plenty who stack their "wireless extension" LAN-WAN
(creating double NAT) because they simply don't know jack about networking.

There are over 100 million "home networks" in the country that are
literally 100% out-of-the-box defaults. It comes out of the box, the color
coded cables are connected to the color coded ports according to the Ikea
pictorial diagram. And it better Just Work(tm), because they will never
understand to configure any part of it -- doubly so for the *networking*.
We are years (DECADES) from a multi-network default. Hell, it's been 20
years and IPv6 is still not more a foot off the ground. (plus, it's been
rewritten a dozen times.)