Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Jul 7 21:39:01 UTC 2015

> On 06/07/15 19:12, Joe Greco wrote:
> >> Terrible idea. These are the kind of features that should be opt in, and
> >> Microsoft could have done that instead.
> >
> > It *is* an option.
>
> Opt-in and opt-out are two models of having an option.
>
> Also I meant being opt-out for the network administrator regarding the
> availability of the _optout suffix. Instead it should have been opt-in
> by the use of some _share suffix.

No, it should have been opt-in by the use of some standards-track
mechanism.  Substituting less-screwed for more-screwed is still just
screwed at the end of the day.

> > Anyways, if you look on the first page of "Customize settings", yes
> > there's an option for "Automatically connect to networks shared by my
> > contacts" and it CAN be turned off, but it defaults to on.
>
> That's an option for the users, not for the network administrator.

That's unclear.  It is likely settable as policy at some level.  I'm
not going to defend Microsoft since I think it is total crap, but I
am not going to be totally unfair about it.

> As a network administrator (at home, at work, whatever) I have some
> trust for my users but not necessarily for the friends of my users. The
> decision should be up to the network administrator, not the user.
>
> The way it's implemented, user inaction makes him/her violate network
> usage policy.

Unclear at best.  The way it is implemented, the user has the potential
to go either way.  A network might not want the user to have the choice,
clearly, but there is certainly a subset of users who will opt out of
the feature and I cannot see how those would be in violation of any sane
network usage policy.

It's certainly a mess in any case.

... JG