Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Jul 5 15:52:36 UTC 2015

Dual-stack doesn't require public IPv4 addresses. Since IPv4 is in short supply, providers must still do what they can to conserve them. This means NAT, with appropriate management to not overload any one IP, or CGN if you want to keep public IPv4 (but no longer unique ones) on CPE. Not every customer needs direct IPv4 connectivity without NAT; those that do must pay for it. If those who have it aren't willing to pay, they must give up their public IPv4 address.

That is the most efficient direct IPv4 provisioning concept we have today. Given the history of IPv6 adoption, it's clear that people won't move until they experience pain sticking with IPv4.

"On demand" IPv4 isn't currently being done anywhere AFAIK, and since we're abandoning IPv4 it's not likely anyone has that on their priority list. It's not a good policy to go out of your way to make IPv4 users comfortable. IPv4 is going to go away, and the sooner customers get that and go to IPv6, the sooner the pain will stop :)

 -mel beckman