Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sun Jul 5 13:55:20 UTC 2015

>  Josh Moore wrote:
>
> Tunnels behind a CPE and 4to6 NAT seem like bandaid fixes as they do not give the benefit of true end to end IPv6 connectivity in the sense of every device has a one to one global address mapping.

No, tunnels do give you one to one global IPv6 address mapping for every device. From a testing perspective, a tunnelbroker  works just as if you had a second IPv6-only ISP. If you're fortunate enough to have a dual-stack ISP already, you can forgo tunneling altogether and just use an IPv6-capable border firewall.

William Waites wrote:
> I was helping my
> friend who likes Apple things connect to the local community
> network. He wanted to use an Airport as his home gateway rather than
> the router that we normally use. Turns out these things can *only* do
> IPv6 with tunnels and cannot do IPv6 on PPPoE. Go figure. So there is
> not exactly a clear path to native IPv6 for your lab this way.

Nobody is recommending the Apple router as a border firewall. It's terrible for that. But it's a ready-to-go tunnelbroker gateway. If your ISP can't deliver IPv6, tunneling is the clear path to building a lab. If you have a dual-stack ISP already, the clear path is to use an IPv6-capable border firewall.

So you are in a maze of non-twisty paths, all alike :)