Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 09:21:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

Currently IPv4 is rather cheap. The first step is to conserve your
resources by deploying schemes to effectively use your IPv4 allocation. You
have to drop using a /30 for each customer and instead have your customer
on a shared subnet. We group our customers up to 60 customers in a /26.

I do not believe IPv4 will become expensive for some time. There are simply
too many people that made sure they got more than their share of the pool
and now they are all trying to sell the excess. Also many companies will
realize the need to optimize their IPv4 usage and as soon they do, they
will realize they actually posses excess IPv4 that can be sold. This is
especially true for the ARIN zone, where you have the most IPv4 address
space compared to population size.

So the answer for now is that you can continue business as usual. Something
that used to be free is now a cost, but it is not very expensive.

Of course not deploying IPv6 is a bad idea. It is in your best interest to
promote IPv6 so you have that, when IPv4 becomes too expensive.

When that time comes, I am betting on one of the Address plus Port schemes.
Most promising is MAP. You will have several users sharing an IPv4 address.
It will be ok for surfing the web but it will suck for many other things.
Therefore you want widespread use of IPv6 by the time you deploy this.

If everyone are using IPv6 most of the time, the customers are likely to
care less about the limitations of sharing an IPv4 address.

Regards,

Baldur