[outages] CenturyLink fiber cut between Modesto, CA and San Jose, CA this AM.. Start time 4:26AM PST

Hugo Slabbert hslabbert at stargate.ca
Thu Jul 2 15:26:26 UTC 2015

>Then again, maybe my tinfoil hat is too tight.

Recent history would seem to indicate that, if anything, most of us were
skimping a bit on tinfoil.

That said, the recent cuts in CA have received a lot of attention and
passed into the mainstream media; that seems, imho, a bit too public for
the operations of a notoriously clandestine organization.  With something
this visible, people will want closure (read "someone to blame").  If it is
the works of some three-letter agency, you either need a scapegoat that can
be sold to the public, or the cuts just magically stop happening without a
perpetrator being found.  If the former, you need a fall man or someone you
don't like and against whom you can amass enough fabricated evidence to
convict.  The latter is basically conspiracy theory gold, and at this point
may start bubbling up into hearings on "securing critical network
infrastructure" etc.

I guess the alternative is that there is a pre-existing sabotage operation
in progress, and a three-letter agency then decides to piggy-back on that
and do some taps under the cover that provides ("oh, those dasterdly fiber
cutters again!"), but that also would seem pretty risky if the original
crew gets busted:  "They admit to all of the cuts except that one in SJ.
Weird... *shrugs*"

At any rate it would seem like idle speculation at this point.  IDK; at
this point if you need privacy ensured, it's probably best to just assume
your "private" lines aren't private and just crypto all the things.

--
Hugo