REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Wed Jul 1 16:43:38 UTC 2015

v5 is 2.4, v6 3.3.5

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Chris Adams" <cma at cmadams.net>
To: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:39:09 AM
Subject: Re: REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

Once upon a time, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> said:
> Not quite. Reported crashes included 6.27, so it's possible that some other
> mitigating factor helped not to crash (like using SNTP instead of NTP,
> although there seems to be people with crashes using SNTP or no SNTP/NTP at
> all).

These are running Linux kernels, right? Anybody know which version? I
know the last couple of leap seconds hit (different) bugs in the Linux
kernel. The 2012 bug was timer related and confused some user-space
applications, but the 2008 bug could cause a kernel deadlock (which this
sounds like).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>