IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

Fred Baker (fred) fred at cisco.com
Fri Jan 30 21:33:21 UTC 2015

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 3:28 PM, Eric Louie <elouie at techintegrity.com> wrote:
>
> If I have to do 6-to-4 conversion, is there any way to do that with
> multiple diverse ISP connections, or am I "restricted" to using one
> entry/exit point?  (If that's true, do I need to allocate a separate block
> of addresses that would be designated "6 to 4" so they'd always be routed
> out that one entry/exit point?)

On this point, you may find

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic
  "Deprecating Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers", Ole Troan, Brian
  Carpenter, 2015-01-28

of interest. t is coming from the IETF IPv6 Operations Working Group, and in essence suggests that operators not support anycast 6to4. Don’t prevent it, please understand, but don’t deploy it, and if it’s causing you problems, turn it off.

One of the authors, Brian carpenter, is the original designer of 6to4...