IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

Eric Louie elouie at techintegrity.com
Fri Jan 30 20:20:16 UTC 2015

I'm just beginning to grasp the concepts of IPv6 operations here, so please
pardon my seeming ignorance.

If I'm reading properly, the best common practice (at least the original)
was allocating a minimum /48 to customers, though I did see one that
referenced a /56.

If I do everything on nibble boundaries, then that would mean the natural
breaks are /44, /40 and /36.  It makes the regions pretty large in terms of
customer count - just plain arithmetic, a /44 allocation for a region with
/56 for customers is a capability of 2**12 customers or 4096 where a /36
allocation for a region with /48 customers would be 4096.

It also sounds like the Internet (aka the upstream/Tier 1 carriers) don't
want me to advertise anything longer than my /32 into BGPv6.  Is that true?
 (I'm getting that from the spamming comments made by others)  Am I
supposed to be asking ARIN for a /32 for each region that I want to
address?  (They turned down my request for an increase to a /28 last year)

As far as the v6 to v4 translation is concerned, I'm looking at that for
the future - for the time being, we will be dual-stacked.  However, if we
move into a new area, based on our current IPv4 inventory, I don't really
have enough to assign to each new customer, so I was looking for ways to
allow those customers access to properties that are still IPv4 only.  Is
there yet another way to do that?

Thanks
Eric

eric at techintegrity dot com