PDU for high amp 48Vdc

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jan 30 11:44:55 UTC 2015

None of the stuff you'll make has UL or NEBS approval unless you pay
for that.  I'd be inclined to suck it up and pay for remote hands to
turn a switch unless you own the colo or they're casual enough that
they don't care (your insurance company might though).

Should you decide to go ahead and build, be sure to check the DC
rating vs. AC rating for break under load - AC arcs are a lot more
self-extinguishing than DC arcs are.  Consider a snubber (resistor and
capacitor in series across the contacts) in your design to minimize
arcing.

More on AC vs DC here:  http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/product_selection.html?p=ac_vs_dc_contactor

For context, my Lincoln IM206 arc welder can be dialed down as low as
30 amps, and will have an open circuit voltage of way under 48 volts
when it's set that low (no, I don't feel motivated enough this early
in the morning to go fire it up and stick a voltmeter on it).

-r