scaling linux-based router hardware recommendations

Pavel Odintsov pavel.odintsov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:33:16 UTC 2015

Hello!

Looks like somebody want to build Linux soft router!) Nice idea for
routing 10-30 GBps. I route about 5+ Gbps in Xeon E5-2620v2 with 4
10GE cards Intel 82599 and Debian Wheezy 3.2 (but it's really terrible
kernel, everyone should use modern kernels since 3.16 because "buggy
linux route cache"). My current processor load on server is about:
15%, thus I can route about 15 GE on my Linux server.

Surely, you should deploy backup server too if master server fails.

--
Sincerely yours, Pavel Odintsov